Monday, July 31, 2006

Real Women


I have been buying bulk lots of cabinet cards to use in my art work - it seems to be cheaper than buying individual ones. Invariably in among my 100+ year old cards there will be a few 'bonus' ones, more recent photos. I got thinking about these photos, they are not the style I normally use in my art. However, I wondered about these women whose images had become freebies, and knew that somehow I had to pay them there due.

These women were real: they loved and laughed, flirted and cried, danced and sung; they are our mothers, sisters and friends.

These are the first pages in an altered book to celebrate the lives of 'Real Women'. I may go back and add more detail to the pages later, but for now the plan is to keep each page simple and the focus on the woman.

4 comments:

One Crabapple said...

This is....TRULY FANTASTIC

I am in love with it.

I have had the same thoughts of these old pictures I collect. I think I enjoy staring at them and thinking about them as much as finding them and using them in my art work.

It IS fascinating isn't it?

I like your giving them credit.

And I love the word Soliliquy (if I spelled it right ? Gosh , I have a hard time even pronouncing it! but I love to HEAR it ....)

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous Jules, and a great idea...

I can see you are producing more of your beautiful stuff, as usual......

Hope you are well - stumbled across your blog by accident - following a link of a link of a link! You know how it is.

robyn..

dogfaeriex5 said...

love pink!!!

Dot said...

Beautiful Julie, as always.
Your art (and you) are an inspiration to me!

Dotee xoxo