Four or five blog friends have tagged me to list 5 (and 7) things you/they don't know about me; or unusual things about me. I have been rude long enough - time to respond.
1. I love natural light and leave all curtains open. I don't have window coverings on most of my windows. I even sleep with my bedroom curtains open.
2. I am not a nudist, but I loathe wearing clothes; especially around me legs. I walk in from work, strip off shoes, jewellery and skirt or pants within seconds. All knocks on the door result in the cry of, "Wait a minute I have to find some clothes." This causes problems with number one (above), not for me, but new neighbours. No problem for waiting visitors, I have a bench by the front door for this purpose.
3. I don't hear music. That is, there is nothing wrong with my hearing but my head does not let music in and I have a whole rack of pre-2000 (when I gave up buying music) CD's that I have some of idea of the first song and no idea of the rest. I put a CD on, Maire Brennan is a favourite - consciously listen to the first few lines then even if I am still in front of the stereo my mind has tripped off elsewhere and only remember I put music on when I see the stereo light flash. Conversely there is a beat inside my head that I like to dance to sometimes.
4. I did, however, grow up hearing Slim Dusty belt out his country ballads over and over again. My anthem for many years was, "Biggest Disappointment" and the chorus is:
And the biggest disappointment in the family was me
The only twisted branch upon our good old family tree
I just couldn't be the person they expected me to be
And the biggest disappointment in the world wa-as me
I am now accepted by my family but as I drive along in the car, or after a couple of drinks by a fire, I will belt this song out with more energy than style. If Dad is with me he will join in with gusto. The tree above is one I see regularly as I walk and it always brings this chorus to mind.
5. I can not like or respect people who are cruel to animals; any animal, ever.
6. I taught myself to read before going to school and still read several books a week; biography, autobiography, mystery, drama, history and when all else fails; whatever trash I can get my hands on.
7. I love fresh food but do not buy fresh onions. I have dried and frozen - organic and tear free.