Wednesday, December 02, 2009

A Beautiful Bargain ...

Recently I hopefully placed some bids in an art auction to raise money for Bernie Berlin's A Place to Bark and Meow animal rescue. From the beginning I had my eye on this delightful Carla Sonheim original and was stunned when I won it for not much more than the cost of a couple of prints. The three dogs, the ginger cat and the bird all have a fish of their own but none will start to eat because they are focused on the other animals. Just beautiful, and such a life reflecting story.
These A7 collages are for a 2010 Calendar swap I am a part of, layers of red papers, gesso, paint washes, stamped images and finally some stitching and rub-ons. They make me smile now, I hope the other 11 artists like them too.

8 comments:

Still Waters Studio said...

Beautiful collages! I know the recipients will love them.
It's so cool that you are supporting A Place To Bark. It is not far from me here in Tennessee.

Janet said...

If the other 11 artists don't like the collages they must be blind!! They're stunning! The colors are so rich, and at first I thought they might be hand-tooled leather. Just gorgeous!!

Lucky you to win that painting, and all for such a good cause.

Ro Bruhn said...

Love all of the layering in your collages, there's so much depth in there. Congratulations on having the highest bid too for Carla's painting, it's a real treat.

Narrative jewelry said...

They are gorgeous Julie, they let me thinking of India, beautiful and warm colors for this new year. And the Carla Sonheim's painting is just so beautiful.

Dot said...

I can understand why you bidded on this gorgeous art from Carla Sonheim (am a big fan of her work too).
The A7 collages are gorgeous and I know you put a lot of time and effort into anything you create.

Caught up with Doreen yesterday on her most recent trip to Melbourne. And she was admiring the art you had made for me.She has good taste!

Love to you and the ' boys'
Doteexx

lisa_crofts said...

Congrats on winning the carla sonheim, your layered collages are beautiful.

Kath said...

Over here in England, I have still heard of Bernie and her work. I wrote about her on my Blog. I can see why you were happy with your win. I love the subtle texture on your work, I wanted to touch it!

Jeanie said...

I'm always so excited when you have a new post -- I love the A7s! And your bid from Bernie's gig is terrific. Love it!