Sunday, February 24, 2008

Look Who is Sitting on My Bed


Sweet Harvey was very social yesterday, he ventured out in view of my friend Kelly and relaxed enough to smooch with Archer in front of both of us. Late last night I was sitting on the bed, lap top perched in front of me, Phantom and Archer asleep beside me; Harvey wandered through.
He stood on his hind legs and peeped over the side of the bed, then jumped onto the stool by the window - provided just so furry people can look out - and checked out the stars. Silly fellow tried walking my very narrow window ledge and fell off twice. I don't think they had curtains at the shelter so perhaps they are a new experience and he expected them to be solid, holding him in place.
Soon Harvey gave up his circus tryouts and jumped onto the bed, where he was greeted enthusiastically by Archer and had a good face wash provided as he kneaded the covers. I think he jumped on and off the bed about 6 or 7 times, staying a little longer each time, exploring each corner and the bedside cabinets in some detail. Today he is cautious again; staying away from my room, avoiding eye contact. He seems to take one trusting step at a time and then be worried that he has trusted too much, so pulls back for a little while. I can't begin to tell you how choked up I was, and what happy tears I had when Harvey was winding under my arm and along my back nuzzling my hand and smooching while purring like crazy atop the covers of this 'family' bed.

8 comments:

Dawnie said...

WOO HOO a breakthrough ! Such a difference a kind loving hand makes to a cat homed from a shelter.
Harvey has definatley found his feet at your's dear julie and I bet he never imagined a poochie would become his best pal.

A lovely step forward

Dawnie xxx

Still Waters Studio said...

What a relief, I'm sure. I've found that cats make peace with dogs a lot faster than with other cats.
Sherry

Dot said...

Oh - what a lovely post my friend! I am loving hearing about each step that Harvey is making to being a true and active member of your family. He is such a beautiful boy and I know it won't be long and he will be snoozing with all of you on the family bed :)

He is making such huge steps forward. I already love him to pieces.

And you too (but you already knew that)

Dotee xoxo

Holly Loves Art said...

Awww... how very sweet. A wonderful post. Yay for Harvey, which was my darling Grandfather's name, by the way. :)

Happy Joy to all,
Holly

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Oh Julie how sweet and wonderful...I know that was a special moment for sure. Once Harvey really comes to realize he is loved and wanted and cared for and STAYING...well he will be your shadow I believe. It takes time.
Lucy now sleeps on the bed with us at night - even bringing her dollies to bed with her(2 troll dolls). Everything is on their terms....
XOXOXO

Jacky said...

Brave little Harvey. He so wants to be part of the family and is slowly allowing himself in.
Great post!

dogfaeriex5 said...

i can see the change in his sweet face, he is slowly coming around and in no time will be acting like he has been there forever....
kiss his furry face for me...
xoxo

One Crabapple said...

ohhh this brought tears to my eyes....Harvey on THE BED ! well ... I know how happy you are.